The Taken King
The Taken King, formerly known as The Comet, is the 3rd and largest expansion for Destiny. The Taken King marks the end of Year 1 and the start of Year 2 of Destiny. It released on September 15, 2015. Unlike previous expansions, The Taken King came in disc-form, similar to vanilla Destiny. It not only increased the base level from 20 to 40 but also added 1 extra subclass for each class. Additionally, The Taken King added 2 new types of weapons and a new Patrol location on the Hive ship called The Dreadnaught.
- 20 additional levels: 20 -> 40
- 1 new weapon type: Swords
- 10 new Story Missions, 3 of them are class-specific
- Many new quests
- New Gear slot: Artifacts, equippable at level 40
- Your character level is determined by maximum Year 1 Light level
- More Vault space - 72 slots for weapons and armor, 36 slots for general
- New storage called Collections for Shaders, Emblems, Sparrows and Ships. Tracks all you have acquired. Shows where to acquire others.
- Emotes are now interchangeable and equippable
- Smarter loot system where it looks at the items you already have to determine drops
- Gear progression reset. New TTK rare items are more powerful than Year 1 items.
- Current strikes: Dust Palace, The Undying Mind, and Cerberus Vae III are over run with Taken enemies.
These are exclusive to PS3 and PS4 players til at least Fall 2016.
- Crucible Map: Sector 618
Different Purchase Options / Versions
See below the table for explanations for each column.
|Version||Price||Type||Vanilla||TDB and HoW||Physical Items||In-game Items||Founder's Fortune||SUROS Arsenal Package||Humble Gestures|
|Digital Collector’s Edition||$80||Digital||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||Pre-order 6/16-6/24|
|Physical Collector’s Edition||$80||Physical||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
|PS4 Limited Edition Console Bundle||$400||Physical||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
- Version - the version / edition of The Taken King available for purchase.
- Price - cost of the version in dollars.
- Type - physical / box version or digital / downloadable version.
- Vanilla - if the version includes the base Destiny game.
- Physical Items - if the version includes physical items: Collector’s Edition SteelBook Case, Cayde-6's Intel Cache, Modified Treasure Island Book with intro Letter from Cayde-6, Cayde-6’s Personal Notes and Illustrations, Collection of Relics and Artifacts (Stickers, Cards etc), Strange Coin Replica.
- In-game Items - 3 class specific emotes, 3 Shaders, 3 Exotic Class Armor with EXP Bonuses. Note that these in-game items can be purchased as an add-on after release for $20.
- Founders Fortune - players who are level 30 or higher on at least 1 character or own both TDB and HoW expansions will receive unique Year 1 VIP rewards. Rewards consist of Brave Shell (Ghost Shell), Be Brave (Emblem), The Old Guard (Shader) and S-34 Ravensteel (Sparrow).
- SUROS Arsenal Package - immediate access to SUROS Arsenal Package on September 15, 2015. These items could be obtained in-game from January 1, 2016. SUROS Arsenal Package consist of SUROS Minimalist Shader, SUROS Fire Emblem, SUROS PRR-11 (Auto Rifle), SUROS BNS-13 (Pulse Rifle), SUROS WSC-17 (Scout Rifle).
- Humble Gestures - a postmaster package that if opened gave multiple Fall 2015 rare and legendary emotes.
A dark shadow has fallen over our worlds. Oryx, The Taken King, is hell-bent on vengeance and is raising an army of corrupted “Taken” forces by manipulating the Darkness itself. You must find a way into his impenetrable Dreadnaught ship to defeat The Taken King before he and his dark army consume our civilization and bring our solar system to ruin.