The Taken King
- See also: The Taken King Achievements and The Taken King (Quest)
The Taken King, formerly known as The Comet, is the 3rd and largest expansion for Destiny. The Taken King marks the end of Year 1 and the start of Year 2 of Destiny. It released on September 15, 2015. Unlike previous expansions, The Taken King came in disc-form, similar to vanilla Destiny. It not only increased the base level from 20 to 40 but also added 1 extra subclass for each class. Additionally, The Taken King added 2 new types of weapons and a new Patrol location on the Hive ship called The Dreadnaught.
The story is about Oryx, The Taken King looking to to avenge the death of his son, Crota. Players battle Oryx and his army, The Taken.
Ghost Shells with stats and perks
- 3 new Subclasses: Sunbreaker, Nightstalker and Stormcaller
- 20 additional levels: 20 -> 40
- 1 new weapon type: Swords
- New patrol location: The Dreadnaught, Oryx's ship that orbits Saturn.
- 10 new Story Missions, 3 of them are class-specific
- Many new quests
- 3 new Strikes: Fallen Saber, Shield Brothers, Sunless Cell
- 1 new Public Events: Court of Oryx
- 1 new Raids: King's Fall
- 7 new Crucible Maps: Ghost Ship, Memento, Vertigo, Bannerfall, Exile, Crossroads, Frontier
- New Crucible Modes: Mayhem, Rift, Zone Control
- New Gear slot: Artifacts, equippable at level 40
- Your character level is determined by maximum Year 1 Light level
- New Ghost Shells with in-game effects such as stat bonuses
- More Vault space - 72 slots for weapons and armor, 36 slots for general
- New storage called Collections for Shaders, Emblems, Sparrows and Ships. Tracks all you have acquired. Shows where to acquire others.
- Emotes are now interchangeable and equippable
- Smarter loot system where it looks at the items you already have to determine drops
- Gear progression reset. New TTK rare items are more powerful than Year 1 items.
- Current strikes: Dust Palace, The Undying Mind, and Cerberus Vae III are over run with Taken enemies.
These are exclusive to PS3 and PS4 players til at least Fall 2016.
- 3 Armor sets: Hesperos for Titan, Azoth Bend for Warlock and Neuroghast for Hunter
- Crucible Map: Sector 618
Different Purchase Options / Versions
See below the table for explanations for each column.
|Version||Price||Type||Vanilla||TDB and HoW||Physical Items||In-game Items||Founder's Fortune||SUROS Arsenal Package||Humble Gestures|
|Digital Collector’s Edition||$80||Digital||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||Pre-order 6/16-6/24|
|Physical Collector’s Edition||$80||Physical||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
|PS4 Limited Edition Console Bundle||$400||Physical||Yes||Yes||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
- Version - the version / edition of The Taken King available for purchase.
- Price - cost of the version in dollars.
- Type - physical / box version or digital / downloadable version.
- Vanilla - if the version includes the base Destiny game.
- TDB and HoW - if the version includes The Dark Below and House of Wolves expansions.
- Physical Items - if the version includes physical items: Collector’s Edition SteelBook Case, Cayde-6's Intel Cache, Modified Treasure Island Book with intro Letter from Cayde-6, Cayde-6’s Personal Notes and Illustrations, Collection of Relics and Artifacts (Stickers, Cards etc), Strange Coin Replica.
- In-game Items - 3 class specific emotes, 3 Shaders, 3 Exotic Class Armor with EXP Bonuses. Note that these in-game items can be purchased as an add-on after release for $20.
- Founders Fortune - players who are level 30 or higher on at least 1 character or own both TDB and HoW expansions will receive unique Year 1 VIP rewards. Rewards consist of Brave Shell (Ghost Shell), Be Brave (Emblem), The Old Guard (Shader) and S-34 Ravensteel (Sparrow).
- SUROS Arsenal Package - immediate access to SUROS Arsenal Package on September 15, 2015. These items could be obtained in-game from January 1, 2016. SUROS Arsenal Package consist of SUROS Minimalist Shader, SUROS Fire Emblem, SUROS PRR-11 (Auto Rifle), SUROS BNS-13 (Pulse Rifle), SUROS WSC-17 (Scout Rifle).
- Humble Gestures - a postmaster package that if opened gave multiple Fall 2015 rare and legendary emotes.
A dark shadow has fallen over our worlds. Oryx, The Taken King, is hell-bent on vengeance and is raising an army of corrupted “Taken” forces by manipulating the Darkness itself. You must find a way into his impenetrable Dreadnaught ship to defeat The Taken King before he and his dark army consume our civilization and bring our solar system to ruin.